Author: James Bright
Release Date: 28th September 2022
Genre: Non-Fiction, Guide, How-to Books, Gardening
Publisher: Heath Publishing Company
“If I wanted to have a happy garden, I must ally myself with my soil; study and help it to the utmost, untiringly … Always, the soil must come first. — Marion Dudley Cran, the 1st woman gardening broadcaster
In Vegetable Garden Soil Science Made Easy, garden fertility and soil science expert James R. Bright draws on many years of cultivating high-yield vegetable gardens to provide you with proven methods that anybody can use to easily set up your garden to grow healthy vegetable crops, even if you have never planted vegetables before, or have limited space and time to grow delicious vegetables, spices, and other gardens delights.
As Ms. Cron said in the 1930s, the key to growing a beautiful garden anywhere in the world is maintaining fertile soil, and in this easy-to-understand gardening book, James Bright teaches all gardeners how to understand soil composition, soil testing, PH levels and acidity, soil moisture and soil microbes – and how to manage these vital soil factors each year in your garden, without buying expensive fertilizers or garden tools.
In this straightforward and practical soil maintenance and gardening book, you will learn:
- In-depth explanations of all of the most important soil characteristics of high-yielding gardens… and how to optimize your home garden soil to produce the most vegetables with the fewest extra soil additives, fertilizers and chemicals.
- Easy step-by-step directions for setting up amazingly productive gardens whether you have a large yard or a limited space, including inexpensive hand-made raised bed gardens and container gardens, as well as how to plant no-dig gardens, the best option for in-ground home gardens.
- Seasonal soil maintenance – how to treat soil and your garden after harvest each year to improve soil conditions for the next growing season.
- The perfect soil mix for raised bed gardens and container gardens to get the ideal mixture of organic matter for nutrients, moisture retention, and aeration.
- Proven soil testing methods to determine the timing and amounts of organic fertilizers, lime, nitrogen, nutrients, or soil microbes to improve soil health and maximize fertility.
- How to protect beneficial soil microbes, understand your soil’s ecosystem, and apply this knowledge for bountiful vegetable production.
If you have ever struggled to produce beautiful, healthy fruits and vegetables, the problem is not you – it’s poor soil… and there is a solution. It’s time to start setting up your home garden for success, and years of producing cheap, healthy vegetables, as well providing you with many hours of relaxing outdoor activity and a sense of individual accomplishment, when you save hundreds of dollars in grocery bills and grow your own organic food.
Vegetable Garden Soil Science Made Easy: Create a Soil Base for Abundant Harvests in Your Raised Bed, Container, or No-Dig Garden by James Bright is a marvellous book that teaches about the complicated yet extremely important science of soil in an extremely simple and understandable way.
This book is a practical guide for everyone who likes greenery and wants to grow a vegetable garden in their backyard in small containers, on a terrace garden, or on a farm. This book is an excellent guide for beginners, especially as the author, James Bright, break down complicated concepts into simple-to-understand, bite-sized pieces of information that are not only easily digestible but also very practical to apply and get results.
I’d recommend this book to everyone who wants to have their own vegetable garden, as this book offers a lot of knowledge on the most important element of vegetable gardening: the soil!